You have probably heard that spinach and brown rice are healthy additions to any diet. If you are ready to kick it up a notch in 2013, try swapping these 5 super power foods for an even bigger nutrient punch. I promise they will keep you feeling energized and nourished all day long.
1) Tired of spinach? Try kale: this dark leafy green has 5 grams of fiber per cup and your daily recommended allowance of vitamin A and C.
2) Never had the palate for tofu? Try tempeh: this fermented soy product has natural probiotics which aid your digestive health. Just like tofu, it is bought pre-cooked and is easy to work in to salads, soups, stews and stir fries. It is heartier than tofu and will keep you satiated to boot!
3) Done with brown rice? Try quinoa: this superfood powerhouse grain has as much protein as milk and more even more calcium & iron! Added bonus: quinoa cooks in a quick 15 minutes and requires minimal work.
4) Enjoy green tea? Try white tea: this tea is the least processed of all the teas, including black and green. The leaves are just picked and dried, rather than further steaming and processing which reduces overall antioxidant content.
5) Do black beans upset your tummy? Try aduki beans. They aresmaller and therefore, easier to digest than most other beans. They also don’t require pre-soaking, cook in a quick 45 minutes and have the highest protein content of all beans.
Check back next Monday to see what makes #6-10 on my list of Super Power foods!