Now that fall is upon us I’ve been able to use my crock pot for meals a few times a week. I gave myself a challenge a couple of weeks ago to only cook meals for one week using the crock pot. I can honestly say that it made my life so much easier! I planned meals out for the whole week the weekend before and purchased the whole week’s worth of groceries ahead of time as well. I started the crock pot before I left for work and then dinner was done by the time I got home!
One recipe my family really enjoyed was this lime taco chicken recipe that I adapted from another recipe. I felt like the initial recipe was lacking in Mexican spices, so I did a little experimenting. The first time we had the recipe we didn’t shred the chicken and just ate the chicken breasts with Mexican rice and a vegetable. This last time I shredded the chicken and then made Mexican salads with it. I’m obsessed now! Having a vinegar and yeast allergy makes it so I can’t have dressing on my salads, but the flavor of the shredded chicken was all I needed, so it was perfect.
Shredded Lime Taco Chicken
- 11/2-2 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c salsa
- 1 c frozen corn
- Salad veggies (I used romaine lettuce, black beans drained and rinsed, shredded cheese, cherry tomatoes, avocado and sour cream)
- In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, all of the spices and garlic.
- Place your chicken breasts (I actually put mine in frozen) into the slow cooker, trying to space them out as evenly as possible.
- Pour your lime mixture over your chicken breasts. If some pieces of chicken don’t have the mixture over it, spoon the lime mixture over the chicken in those spots.
- Set your slow cooker for low and cook the chicken for about 5 hours. My slow cooker tends to cook things very quickly so it might take you a little longer or a little less time to cook your chicken.
- Once cooked, take the chicken out of the crock pot and shred it using a fork. Place the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Add the corn and salsa to the chicken, stir and then cook the mixture for another 30 minutes or so, or until it is warm.
- Make your salads and add the chicken on top–yum!